Thursday, May 5, 2011

Maynard Not Impressed With Pettis

Gray Maynard Is Not Impressed with Anthony Pettis' destruction of 'scrubs.' Thinks Pettis has more to prove inside the UFC before he's worthy of a title shot.



JL: How much sleep do you lose at night knowing that Anthony Pettis has to fight Clay Guida because of you?

GM: "I sleep better. I mean, who has he fought? I’ve been in the trenches this whole time fighting the toughest guys. He throws one kick and then he’s the greatest in the world?

Let’s look at who he’s fought. Ben Henderson is the best name. And I don’t mind fighting him; I don’t care if I win the belt and then I have to take him on. But for me, guys like Miller, Melendez and all of these guys who have been on the f***ing grind, fighting the best competition for the past few years… that’s what I look at. Who have you fought? I don’t care about how good you looked when you fought a scrub. That doesn’t matter. If a guy isn’t good then you’re not supposed to look good. And for me, [Pettis] has fought one good guy in Ben, and he isn’t proven yet. He’s tough as hell, but we’ll see."

Full Article: MMAFA.tv

Maynard has proved to be a strong candidate for the UFC title, even warranting a draw from the judges in his last bout, earning him a rematch against current lightweight champ, Frankie Edgar. Pettis on the other hand won the last WEC lightweight belt in which we saw him end the fifth round with a Matrix-like kick off of the fence to the face of then current WEC champ, Benson Henderson. A fight that ended with the hand of the challenger, Pettis raised.

If Maynard wins in his rematch here at the end of the month against Edgar, and Pettis wins his bout against the fast wrestler, Clay Guida, then we may be seeing a war of words come to a head.

No comments:

Post a Comment