Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Anthony Johnson: Just Get It Done

Anthony Johnson has just come off a fresh win this last Saturday against Dan Hardy. Hardy and Johnson with mutual respect, came into the fight promising an all-out slug fest guaranteed to end in a knockout. The truth of the fight was, that statement couldn't have been farther from the truth.

The bout lasted a full fifteen minutes and in a unanimous decision, Johnson took the cake. A visibly disappointed Hardy had a right to be down because the fight against the San Jose local fighter handed 'The Outlaw' his third straight loss.

His plan to take Hardy into the ground game was a tactic he learned from watching Koscheck fight. Kos guaranteed a KO as well against Paul Daley and then went to the ground for a full fifteen minutes for the unanimous decision. Johnson credits his win to his training partner and hard work.

"It wasn't my best performance, but as I said in my interviews, I just needed to win," he said. "I could have stood and banged with him. No problem. But why would I stand and bang when I know his absolute weakness is takedown defense and being on his back?

"I don't care what people think. ... My performance wasn't what I wanted it to be, but I'll take it."


Still, Johnson thinks Hardy should be commended for the performance. He heard Hardy "gurgling" during an arm-triangle choke but knew he'd "have to shoot him" to get him to quit in the fight.


He expected that kind of toughness.


"He won't give up," Johnson said. "I respect that. He's the toughest guy in the division. I don't doubt that at all."


Source and Article: MMA Junkie 

No comments:

Post a Comment