Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gegard: Worried About Slipping

Gegard Mousasi does not want to lose his first bout in front of the UFC. The initial buyout of Strikeforce has raised several main issues and concerns, one of which being, how disposable is the Strikeforce roster?

Several strong showings by the Armenian has brought him loyal fans and plenty of publicity and hype, but his loss recently to 'King Mo' was anything but an impressive performance. Mousasi had this to say coming into his first fight under the Zuffa family:

"If I win this, I get a title shot in Strikeforce hopefully. It all depends of course on how I perform, but I just need to win every fight and I think it will be OK. This fight is important. I think this one is a deal breaker or maker. I need to win this one. If I win the light heavyweight belt, then there’s more meaning for me to go to the UFC. Because then champion versus champion can be done. There’s a little bit more pressure now because there’s no competition. If you screw up, you’re screwed yourself. There’s more pressure, but other than that, I can just fight the best that I can. I hope they like my style."

Mousasi fights former UFC great, Keith Jardine this Saturday in San Diego on the main card of the Strikeforce: Diaz Daley bout. Jardine is coming off two straight wins over Aron Lofton and Francisco France bouncing back from his five fight losing streak where he saw the axe from the UFC in September of 2010.

A loss for Mousasi would be a major setback for the rising star and with a loss to 'King Mo' and then finally an aging and glass-chinned Keith Jardine would cement his plateau in the mixed martial arts world. A win on the other hand would not be beneficial to his stature because Jardine is being passed over as being 'over the hill' and headed into retirement. Mousasi just needs to make sure he wins, and does it with an exclamation point to keep his status high heading into his next bout.

Full Article: MMA Mania

No comments:

Post a Comment