Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Charles Oliveira: I Would Trade Bonus For Win

Charles Oliveira walked away with an impressive win, but unfortunately his impressive performance came under fire in the closing seconds of his bout.
 
Charles ‘do Bronx’s’ Oliveira tapped Nik Lentz at UFC on Versus 4’s fight of the night, but the result can be overturned to a No Contest by the athletic commission due to an illegal knee on Lentz, a minute before Oliveira caught him in a rear-naked choke.

“I didn’t realize he was still (with a knee) on the ground… At the heat of the moment, I wanted to knock him out or submit him,” Oliveira told TATAME. “The knee landed and the referee didn’t stop the fight, then I hit him again with another knee. The first one was illegal, but it didn’t hti him on the jaw, and he kept fighting, trying to take me down. The second one actually hurt him”.

Charles’ trainer Ericson Cardozo is confident that the result won’t change.

“It was the referee’s mistake, who didn’t stop the fight,” he said. “He should have stop the fight, give Lentz 5 minutes to rest and deduct a point from Charles, then the fight would go on”.

“We’re just waiting,” Oliveira added. “I left that in God’s hands, but I think it won’t happen (they won’t change the result). He didn’t go out, he kept on the fight and stood up, then he felt the second knee. There’s no reason to not give me the victory”.

Happy with his performance, but sad with the controversy, Oliveira thanked the UFC for his US$ 50 thousand ‘fight of the night’ bonus, but want the victory first.

“I’m just waiting for the victory. If I could change the bonus for the victory, I would”.

Full Article 

No comments:

Post a Comment