Thursday, June 23, 2011

Werdum Blames Knee For Overeem Loss

Werdum blames his loss on an injury sustained during the fight with Overeem


"If you look well, you'll see that my knee got out of place in the beginning of the second round," Werdum told R7.com. "It hurt so much, it was difficult to get up and it took a little of my focus. I will have an MRI scan and see whether it is serious and when I will be able to train.

"I should have had more faith in my stand-up, listened to [coach] Rafael Cordeiro. Strategically he (Overeem) was better. Perhaps, if I hadn't pulled the guard so many times, I would have won.


"He didn't want to go to the ground with me at all but it is an MMA fight, you have to do the ground game as well. I think it is funny that [opponents] call me to go at them and I do, but when I call them to the mat, nobody does."

Full Article


If there is one thing I hate the most, it might just be excuses. Especially in an individual sport, it is despicable to pull on the heart strings of others by making reasons for your own downfall. It is very clear this past Saturday that Fabricio chose to stand with Overeem for half of the bout. The same amount of time was spent on the ground as in the stand-up. It is clear that Werdum does not have the boxing credential that Alistair has, and that was made clearly evident.


After several leg kicks, Werdum made slow to get up several times after being thrown or tripped. Being tossed around the ring for 2 rounds, the Brazilian's knee was red, swollen, and apparently hurting. There was no question that one kick that came in the first round hurt Fabricio as he pulled the 'stanky leg' as Munoz puts it, and stumbled to maintain balance. Hobbling for a few seconds, he showed he was hurt, no doubt.


Now he turns around and uses that as an 'excuse' to why he lost? I am confused, if that is an excuse, well then by all means, Fabricio has had an excuse for every loss and should be considered the best heavyweight of all time. The only thing keeping him reaching the top were his 'injuries'.

No comments:

Post a Comment