Sunday, July 15, 2012

Do Decisions Make For a Bad Card?

My younger brother and I were watching Strikeforce the other night, much to the behest of my roommates who see my MMA addiction as a latent homosexual fantasy. Nonetheless the two of us enjoyed the card. Well, at least one of us did. As the Strikeforce card began with a riveting submission early in the first round by Jason High, a promising, rising, young star, what followed was 'less than spectacular' (REALLY?).

That is when the card moved into its lack luster finish with a string of decisions until the streak was broken by the co-main event winner, Nathan Marquardt, who viciously knocked out an undefeated Woodley. During this train of judge tallies, my brother griped and groaned as the broadcast brought more and more fifteen minute fights. But I sat there enjoying every single one, countering his heavy sighs with compliments that these guys fought hard for fifteen minutes, and laid justice in that not one fighter in my opinion ever stopped fighting, not one ever gave up. Each bout was as entertaining as the next.

This brought me to my thought, do decisions make for a boring card? I would like to think yes and no. The educated fan inside myself understands the discipline and amount of dedication it takes to make it to the top and even so far as to say, to make it to the UFC. But the broke college student inside me says "I paid $55 bucks to watch this stuff?" Come on, this is an entertainment business (That unfortunately banks on the crumpled emotions of fighters). No one understands this complexity more than the man Dana White himself, Constantly promoting fights, scolding fighters for running in the cage, and rewarding those who lay it all on the line, win, lose, or draw.

What are your thoughts? Folks out there with an opinion, let us know how feel? Should fighters be forced to perform since it is an entertainment industry? Or do you feel that these fighters have sacrificed enough to not justify a critical analysis just like we do to the MLB, NHL, NFL, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment