Monday, June 13, 2011

Carwin Blogs His Loss

Shane Carwin blogged about his fight on the Underground following his loss to Junior Dos Santos.



"I am back home now and wanted to post this blog and give everyone an update. 

Heading into the fight with Junior I knew that I was up against one of the best strikers in the division if not in MMA.  He is powerful, accurate and as we saw on Saturday night he is able to take a punch to give a punch. 

Regardless of the obstacle the opportunity was too great to pass up. 

As the fight started I just did not feel like myself, I wasn’t able to get my feet moving and Junior capitalized quickly.  As he was pummeling me I kept trying to find a way to defend myself so Herb would not stop the fight.  Junior was landing solid shots and that is where probably he broke my nose. 

From that point on the rest of the fight was essentially Junior executing his game plan.  His jab was extremely effective and he used the jab to set the pace of the fight. 

The end of the fight was pretty much a blur.  Junior was a better fighter than I was last night.  His boxing was better and he used his boxing to take me out of the fight.  I have nothing but respect for Junior and his camp.  He deserves the title shot.

After the second round I knew I was in trouble.  My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me.  When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over.  When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue.  I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot.  I wanted to keep myself in the fight.  I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued. 

When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight.  I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care.  The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.

After they raised Juniors hand my corner got me back stage to the doctors and it was decided that I needed to go to the emergency room.  I did my mandatory drug test and got in the ambulance and went to the hospital.

I wasn’t able to attend my own after party due to my hospital stay and injuries.  After the hospital I went back to my hotel and today I flew home to Colorado."


Continue Reading


Carwin appears happy and at ease but indifferent and possibly at a crossroad in his career. He is slipping down the ladder of the UFC's heavyweight division. To make matters worse, if Strikeforce makes it's way into the UFC, Carwin will now have even more top competition like Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, as well as many more.


Carwin's loss to Lesnar displayed the flaws in his game. And now the bout with Dos Santos we see an improved Carwin, but not to the caliber that was expected.


Originally, Carwin was set to take on Jon Olav Einemo, a kickboxer who has not seen the inside of a ring for over two years. This fight was just for the sake of giving Shane a 'body' to fight. To get him back in the win column and fighting for another shot at the belt soon. But, when Lesnar was forced to pull out, Carwin got the call and the rest was history.


There's no doubt it was in Carwin's best interest to take the fight, and possibly put himself in line for another look at the belt, but at the end of the day, did we see a much stronger and more improved Carwin or does he still have a long road to the top?

No comments:

Post a Comment